Fork tender chunks of beef slowly cook with meaty mushrooms for a keto-friendly stroganoff. The mushrooms give off liquid as they soften, which means less broth is needed at the beginning.
TOTAL TIME: 4 HOURS OR 8 HOURS / SERVES 4
Nutrition (per serving): 390 calories, 40 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 21 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 230 mg sodium
- 2 pounds top round beef roast, cut into 1″ pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra— virgin olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package sliced mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 8 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from about 1 large head)
- 1/3 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium—high heat, heat oil. Add beef and cook until seared, 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer beef to bowl of a large slow cooker then add mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and cook until the beef is fork—tender, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Turn off heat. Drain some of the liquid, if needed. Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- When beef is almost done, fill a large pot with 311 of water and add a steamer insert. Bring water to a boil over high heat then add cauliflower and cover with lid. Steam until fork— tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor. Add milk and butter and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth, adding a little more milk if needed.
- Serve stroganoff over cauliflower and garnish with parsley.