The science behind the Slimming World Meal Plan
Slimming World’s Diet plan, Food Optimizing, brings together the science of nutrition with the joy of great-tasting food. Based on energy density (how many calories per gram a food has) and satiety (how filling a food is), Food Optimizing encourages you to enjoy bulky, satisfying foods that fill you up for fewer calories which is great for weight loss! At the heart of the plan is Slimming World Free Food.
These are foods you’ll find in every grocery store such as lean meats, poultry, fish, fat-free dairy, eggs, grains, pulses, potatoes, pasta, fruit and veggies and you can enjoy them freely in delicious, weight loss friendly meals.
On top of that, add in measured portions of foods that provide calcium, fiber and other essential minerals to support a healthy, balanced diet, as well as carefully controlled amounts of fatty, sugary and higher calorie foods that many other diets ban outright. The result? A healthy eating plan that makes losing weight enjoyable and easy to maintain long term.
Follow This 7-day Diet Plan. You can start on any day you choose, swap days around, and repeat days if there’s one you particularly enjoy.
1. All our meals are based on Slimming World Free Food nutritious, everyday foods that are lower in calories and high in appetite satisfaction, so they’re great for weight loss! Free Food includes lean meat, fish, fat-free dairy, eggs, rice, pasta (yes pasta!), grains, pulses, potatoes, fruit, veggies and more.
2. To support a balanced diet, each day choose two measured portions of milk or cheese for calcium, and one portion of whole-wheat bread or breakfast cereal for fiber and other essential minerals. To keep things simple, we’ve built your bread or breakfast cereal and one calcium choice into our menu plan each day. Enjoy an additional calcium choice from the following:
- 1½ cups fat-free skim milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk (2%)
- 1½ cups unsweetened plain/light soy milk
- 3 ounces (¾ cup) fat-free cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces (½ cup) low-fat cheddar cheese
3. To help protect your weight loss, follow these top tips, too:
- Trim visible fat off meat and remove skin from poultry
- Substitute no-calorie granulated sweetener for sugar
- Use cooking spray instead of butter or oil when cooking
- Fill at least a third of your plate with veggies or salad
4. And remember to treat yourself! Choose two treats every day from this list:
- 1 oz. chocolate-coated peanuts
- 2 chocolate-flavored sandwich cookies, e.g. Oreos or other small chocolate-chip cookies
- 2 cups popped cheese-flavor popcorn
- 5 fruit chews
- 1 (1.2 oz.) plain, buttermilk or cinnamon frozen waffle
- 1 reduced-sugar granola bar
- 1 oz. regular tortilla chips
- 1 oz. salted pretzels
- 1 (3.6 oz.) sugar-free chocolate pudding snack pot, e.g. Jell-O
- 1 oz. trail mix
- 16fl oz. light beer, 5fl oz. red or white wine (13.5% vol), or 1½fl oz. vodka, rum or whiskey (40-45% vol) and diet soda