This Free and easy one-pan lasagna will soon become a family favorite! Our clever method cooks the noodles while the lasagna bakes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes Total time: 50 minutes
- Cooking spray*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 oz. baby spinach (about 7 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sliced basil, plus more for serving
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. water
- 8 oz. dry lasagna noodles (about 6 sheets), broken into 2″ pieces1½ cups plain fat-free cottage cheese
- 6 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1¾ cups)
- Large side salad tossed with fat-free Italian dressing
- *Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional five sprays used.
- Lightly coat a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and basil and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, 2 cups water, and ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer.
- Add the lasagna noodles and cook until the pasta is tender and the sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the noodles submerged in sauce and to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Meanwhile, puree the cottage cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon water in a food processor or blender until smooth. When the noodles are tender, remove the skillet from the heat and gently fold in the pureed cottage cheese. Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella. Adjust the oven rack to the upper-middle position and preheat the broiler.
- Broil the lasagna until the cheese melts and just begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes; let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with more basil, divide among four plates, and serve with the side salad.