This five-star recipe has lean ground beef, beans and cheese—all the best nacho toppings! Serve with a large side salad to round out the meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes Total time: 1 hour
- 1 lb. uncooked pasta (any short shape will work)
- Cooking spray*
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 1 (15-oz.) drained can pinto beans
- 4 oz. low-fat cheddar, divided
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- *Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray* are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray* and sauté the onion and bell peppers until softened. Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until browned, draining off any excess fat.
- Add the spices and seasonings to 1 cup of water, then pour over the ground meat and simmer. Mash the beans roughly with a fork and add to ground beef, along with half the cheese.
- Spray a 9×13” pan with cooking spray*. Spread half the diced tomatoes with green chilis over the bottom of the pan. Spread the drained pasta over the tomatoes, then top with the ground meat mixture.
- Pour the remaining diced tomatoes with green chilis over the top, then sprinkle with the scallions and the remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 35–40 minutes.